Voice recognition technology is changing the way we interact with our smartphones. The hands-free experience assisted by voice assistants are all the rage these days.
From setting alarms to searching the web and shopping online, there is a lot a voice assistant can do for you. Powered by advanced technologies like artificial intelligence, these assistants understand every command instantly. Due to the high demand for state of the art voice recognition, smartphone manufacturing giants like Samsung, Apple, and Google have come up with their own voice assistants.
Bixby is Samsung’s take on AI-powered voice assistants and is preloaded in its flagship Galaxy series devices, which also sport a dedicated Bixby button and Bixby home; making it is a little too embedded into the UI.
Even though it is not a bad voice assistant and offers features like custom routines, a majority of people prefer Google assistant over Bixby. Not only this, but the accidental touches to the Bixby button can also get a little frustrating at times.
Older versions of the Samsung UI allowed users to disable the Bixby key but newer versions do not provide this functionality. Even though you cannot disable the Bixby key, there are a few things you can do to reduce the number of interactions.
While the guides below have been used creating Samsung Galaxy S9, the steps should apply to other Samsung phones as well and will help you disable Samsung Daily and remap the Bixby button.
How to disable Samsung daily? (previously Bixby Home)
Similar to Google Home available on most of the Android devices, Samsung Daily (previously Bixby Home) is a constantly updating homepage, which is part of the Bixby environment. It displays information about events in your calendar, reminders and provides news and weather updates in the form of cards. These cards are shown to the user every time they swipe left from their home screen.
To disable Samsung Daily (Bixby Home) follow the steps given below.
- Pinch/long press anywhere on the home screen on your device to show a multi-window interface of your home screen.
- Swipe left to see the Samsung daily window.
- Toggle the button on the top right corner to disable Samsung daily.
How to remap the Bixby key?
As mentioned earlier it is not possible to disable the Bixby key on the Samsung Galaxy, but you can remap the key to open a different app when you press the button. To do the same follow the steps given below
- Head over to your device Settings.
- Click on Advanced features.
- Click on Bixby key in the new window
- Select Single press to open Bixby/Double press to open Bixby according to your preference
- To open the app of your choice when you press the Bixby button click on Use single press/Use double press
- Click on the gear icon next to the open app and select the app of your choice.
Bixby offers a feature of running a set of custom commands using the Bixby key, and these commands can be created by the user. To run a set of custom commands follow the steps given below.
- To run a custom command of your choice when you press the Bixby button click on Use single press/Use double press.
- Click on the gear icon next to Run quick command option and select the command you want to run.
Also read: Top 7 screen recorder apps for Windows 10