Launched in 2005, Google Maps has evolved into a giant database that maps our planet, including the roads for making travelling and commuting easier. However, there are times when you’re travelling to a place with a spotty internet connection, where the Maps app might fail to load and provide you with directions. To avoid being in a soup, it’s recommended to download maps offline and here we help you do just that.
Steps to download offline Google Maps
- Connect the device to the internet and sign in to your Gmail account.
- Open the Google Maps mobile/tablet application installed on your device.
- Search for the place whose Google Map you want to download.
- From the bottom panel, tap on the name or address of the place and then tap on the download button (). OR
- If you are not able to find the Download button, tap on Menu icon () then go to Offline Maps and tap on Select Your Own Map.
- Next, you’ll need to crop the map area you wish to download and tap on Download. Your offline Google map will start downloading and will be available for a year.
If your offline Google Map is updated anytime before it expires, it’ll be available for one year from the date on which it was updated.
Also read: What is Inbox Zero and how to achieve it?
Steps to download offline Google Maps in SD Card
Users can also control where the maps are downloaded. If you’re downloading a couple of maps or are running out of space on your internal storage, it’s advisable to download the offline Google Maps to your device’s SD card, if it has one.
- Insert the SD Card in the device.
- Open the Google Maps app installed on your device.
- Select the menu icon () located on the top left corner.
- Tap on Offline Maps.
- On the top right corner, tap on the settings icon ()
- Tap on Storage Preferences and change the preference from Device to SD Card.
Users can also choose whether to download the offline maps over only a WiFi connection or over both WiFi and mobile network from the same settings menu.
So next time you are visiting a place which has network connectivity issues, you can download the offline maps and enjoy hassle-free navigation. Offline Google Maps are not available for PC.
Google Maps offers a variety of maps like satellite view map, aerial view map, 360° view map. Besides, it uses many advance route planning technologies to search the best route for the user in real-time.
It is one of the most used applications in today’s world. Whenever someone does not know the directions or wants to find the fastest route, Google Maps comes in handy. From different modes for different types of vehicles to real-time traffic update, the app provides a host of features. We hope this guide has helped you find and download Google Maps for offline use.
Let us know if you’d like us to cover some other topic in the comments down below.
Also read: 5 best navigation apps for Android
A coder by profession and a photographer by passion. Himanshu is currently pursuing engineering in Computer Science and has in-depth knowledge of Software Development and Android App Development. He is fond of technology and loves to stay up to date with the modern tech.