Spotify is the premier online music provider service based in Luxembourg. With over 248 million subscribers, of which over 113 million are paid subscribers, the company provides over 50 million songs and over 500 thousand podcasts.
Here, we will explain how much data is consumed when you listen to online music on Spotify, so that you can change the music quality as per your requirements.
How much data does Spotify use?
Data use is directly proportional to the music or video streaming quality. Clarifying further, this means that when you will stream the music or video on high or HD quality, the data consumption will be much higher when compared to streaming music or videos in Standard Definition.
Spotify has five music quality options — Low, Normal, High, Very High and Automatic. Among these, Very High music quality is available only for premium users. Below, we look into each of these options individually.
- Low: In low music quality settings, the data consumption will be around 24 kbit per seconds, which will roughly amount to 10.8 MB per hour.
- Normal: If you are using normal music quality settings, then the data consumption rate is around 96 kbit per seconds. This will translate to approximately 43.2 MB per hour.
- High: In high music quality, the data consumption will be much higher — 160 kbit per seconds or 72 MB per hour.
- Very High: The data consumption rate is around 320 kbit per seconds or 144 MB per hour.
You cannot use the Low settings option in the Windows app. Also, the Vey High music quality option is only for premium users.
Now, you can calculate the monthly data usage on each of these settings and then select the appropriate music quality.
How to change music quality in Spotify?
As we have mentioned earlier, data consumption is directly proportional to the quality of music that you are streaming; therefore it is imperative to know the music quality setting.
To change the music quality in Spotify — on the app as well on the desktop, follow the instructions given below.
On the app (Android or iOS)
Follow the steps given below to change the music quality in the app.
- Open the Spotify app.
- Now, tap on the gear icon at the top right corner.
- Scroll down below and until you see Music Quality option.
- Here, tap on the Streaming option to see all the available music qualities and then select the one you require.
Also read: How to delete your Spotify account?
On the desktop (Windows app)
If you are using Spotify on the desktop, follow the instructions given below.
- Go to the Spotify Windows application and then log in on your account.
- Click on Settings at the top right corner.
- Check the Music Quality Details from the Music Quality settings.
Note: You cannot change the music quality directly from the website. You will have to download the app and then follow the instructions that we have mentioned above.
We hope this article has helped. Do read our more such Tech Basic articles and also write in the comment section if you want to us to cover any particular topic.
Deputy Editor at Candid.Technology. Hemant writes at the intersection of tech and culture and has a keen interest in science, social issues and international relations.
You can contact him here: [email protected]