An online community where you can join and form separate servers for separate activities, Discord has been beneficial for gamers, hobbyists, coders, and students among many other groups of people. However, the chain of communication breaks down when you come across frozen channels that freeze your mic or the current status of your friends remains un-updated.
If you are facing some glitches on Discord and want to restart it, then this article is for you, here will provide a few straightforward points on how to restart your Discord application.
Also read: How do you know if someone blocked you on Discord?
Restarting on PC
You can refresh your Discord platform by pressing Ctrl+R simultaneously on your PC and for more such keyboard shortcuts you can press Ctrl+/ in Discord and you will be greeted with a whole list of shortcuts. When you refresh the Discord server by pressing the shortcut keys, your screen will go blank for a few seconds while Discord refreshes, then an interesting anecdote or function by discord will greet you on the screen while you wait for Discord to restore everything back.
Other ways to restart Discord on your desktop app are given below:
Close from hidden apps
- Normally close Discord by heading to the top-right corner of your screen and clicking on the red icon. You can also head to the taskbar and close discord from here.
- Now head to hidden apps by clicking on the upward-facing arrow on the taskbar. Right-click on the Discord icon and select Quit Discord. You can relaunch Discord now.
To open Task Manager, you can either press Ctrl+Shift+Esc on your keyboard or you can type and search for it in the Search bar on your taskbar or by clicking on the Windows icon. The Task Manager screen will show you the current running apps and background processes. Click on Discord and in the top-right corner, click on End Task. You can relaunch Discord now.
You can clear the Discord app and its local app data by following the steps given below:
- Press the Windows+R key simultaneously and when the Run dialog box appears, type %appdata% and press OK.
- The roaming folder of all the downloaded apps will open. Now you can either permanently delete the Discord file by clicking once on the file and then pressing Shit+Delete on your keyboard. A dialog box will pop up confirming the action and by clicking on Yes, your login data will be permanently removed from your laptop. You can also right-click on the Discord file from the given list and tap on the delete option which will send this file to the Recycle Bin.
- Press the Windows+R key simultaneously and when the Run dialog box appears, type %localappdata% and press OK.
Follow the second step again to remove all the local files for Discord. With this process, you can restart Discord again and any corrupted file will be erased.
Restarting on Mac
Since Discord is compatible with almost all operating systems on the planet, you can even restart the app on Mac, an effortless task as compared to Windows. All you need to do is right-click on the Discord icon on the dock on your Mac. From the given option, click on Quit Discord. Now, you can restart the app.
Restarting on Android
You can head to the Discord app’s settings and Force Stop the app from running.
This will completely halt the app’s functions. This is the closest you can come to Android to restart the app. In case, the problem persists, you can uninstall and reinstall the application.
Restarting on iPhone
The restarting process on iPhone is the quickest way to get rid of any glitches. Just swipe up from the bottom of your screen. From the various app cards, swipe up on the Discord app card and this will completely close the application on iPhone. Now, you can relaunch it by tapping on the app again.
Also read: Discord paste button not working: Quick Fixes