If your Sony TV remote is not working, it can be a frustrating experience. A malfunctioning remote can prevent you from watching your favourite TV shows, adjusting the volume buttons, or changing the channels. But before you panic and purchase a new remote, there are several fixes that you can try.
In this article, we will outline the causes of why the Sony TV remote is not working, and possible fixes to the issue. In the end, we’ll finish off by answering a few frequently answered questions.
Sony TV remote not working: Possible causes
Here are some possible causes of the Sony TV remote not working:
- Dead batteries: It is one of the most common reasons why a remote control stops working. If the batteries in the remote are dead or low, it won’t be able to transmit signals to the TV.
- Blocked signals: Remotes use infrared signals to communicate with the TV. If there are any obstacles between the remote and the TV such as a piece of furniture, curtains, wall, or other objects, the signal might be blocked.
- Incorrect input settings: If your TV is not set to receive the correct input, the remote might not work properly. For instance, if you want to use the remote to control a cable box, the TV must be set to the input from the cable box.
- Remote control sensor issues: If the sensor is damaged or dirty, it won’t send or receive signals.
- Interference from other devices: If there are other electronic devices in the room, they might be interfering with the remote control signal.
Also read: How long does Roomba take to charge?
Sony TV remote not working: Possible fixes
In this section, we provide some troubleshooting tips for the Sony TV remote not working issue:
Check the batteries
The first thing that you should check is the batteries. Remove the batteries and then press the power button for a few seconds to remove any residual power left in the remote. Now, insert the batteries and try using the remote again.
If this doesn’t work, then your remote batteries are dead or damaged and buying new ones is the only option.
Clean the remote
Sometimes, dirt and grime get deposited on the remote and make the button stuck. To clean the buttons, you can use a soft cotton swap dipped in rubbing alcohol. Gently wipe the buttons and remove any dirt or debris. After that, make sure to press the buttons a few times so that none of the buttons is stuck.
Remove obstacles blocking the signal
As mentioned earlier, the infrared signals are blocked due to the presence of obstacles. Make sure that the signal path is clear. Remove the objects from your TV stand and rearrange the furniture so that the signals are not blocked in the future.
Check the infrared sensor
The infrared sensor on your Sony TV can also be the culprit behind the non-functioning remote. The sensor is usually located at the bottom centre of the TV, and if it’s obstructed, the remote signals may not reach the TV. To fix this, clean the sensor using a damp cloth to remove any dust or debris. Also, make sure that the IR sensor is not exposed to direct sunlight or bright lights.
Here is how to test if your remote is sending the IR signals:
- Turn your smartphone camera towards the remote.
- Now, press any button on the remote and then look at the viewfinder of our phone camera. If the remote is sending the IR signals, then you will see a blinking light.
Remember, some iPhone models and other smartphones won’t display the IR light. So, it is not a reliable test. However, it is worth a try.
Power reset the Sony TV
To power reset your Sony TV, simply remove the power cord and wait for a few minutes before plugging it back in.
For Sony Android TV, press the power button on your remote for ten seconds to reset the TV.
Update your Sony TV
You should make it a habit of regularly updating your Sony TV as soon as the company releases the updates. Here are the steps to update a Sony TV:
- For the models released in 2019 or later, press the Quick Settings button and then select Settings. For other models, press the Home button and then select Settings.
- After that follow the on-screen instructions. Usually, it will depend on the make and model of your Sony TV, but a general pattern is as follows: Remote and Accessories > Remote Control > Software update.
Remove any connected devices
If you have external devices like soundbars, cable boxes, or gaming consoles connected to your Sony TV, they can sometimes interfere with the remote signal. Disconnect all external devices, except the one that you are currently using, and try the remote again to see if the issue is resolved. Now, plug in the devices one by one and check the remote.
Remove any Bluetooth interference
If your Sony TV uses Bluetooth technology, other nearby Bluetooth devices can interfere with the signal. To fix this, move the other Bluetooth devices to another room or as far away from the TV as you can. Or, you can disable the devices while using the Sony TV.
Factory reset the Sony TV
If none of the above solutions works, then factory resetting the Sony TV may be necessary. A factory reset will erase all your data and preferred settings. Press the factory reset button on the back side of your TV until the Reset/erasing message is displayed on the screen. Once you see the message, release the button and the TV will now start the factory reset process.
Also read: Mgnetu link not working: Quick Fix
Frequently answered questions (FAQs)
Now let us dive into some of the frequently answered questions that people ask related to Sony TV remote not working issue.
Why is my Sony TV not responding to the remote?
There can be several reasons why your Sony TV is not responding to the remote such as battery damage to the remote, blocked infrared signals, outdated software, faulty input settings, and interference from other devices.
Sony TV remote not working except power button
If the other buttons are working, try to remove the batteries and press the power button for at least ten seconds to remove the residual power. Insert the batteries again and check if all the buttons are working.
You can also clean the remote as dirt and debris get deposited on the remote after regular use. Use a damp cloth for cleaning the remote.
Also read: Steelseries Sonar not working: Quick Fix