Google Docs has emerged as one of the primary competitors of Microsoft Word in the writing tools landscape, especially as the world is moving online, and cloud storage is becoming the new norm. While there are several other names that are doing well in the same business, Google Docs is one of the most convenient writing apps as you can access your documents online from any device.
Any app online is most useful in your preferred language, and in this article, we are going to tell you how to change the language in Google Docs on PC and smartphone app.
How to change the language in Google Docs on PC?
Open the Google Doc file you want to edit and follow the steps mentioned below to change the language.
Step 1: Click on the File option on the top left corner of the toolbar.
Step 2: From the drop-down menu, click on Language, which will display a list of supported languages on Google Docs. Select the preferred language from the list.
Step 3: To ensure that the language has been changed, click on the keyboard icon (input options) towards the top-right corner of the toolbar (refer to the screenshot below). Depending on your language selection, you will see two options, one of which allows you to either use your PC’s keyboard or provides a virtual keyboard.
Also read: How to change the language in Hotstar?
How to change the language in Google Docs app?
Unlike Google Docs for PC, you will have to dabble with your phone’s keyboard settings to change the language in Google Docs app. Below we have mentioned two methods that will help you to write in your selected language in Google Docs for Android.
Method 1: Changing keyboard language
- Click on the arrow button on the top left corner of your keyboard.
- Then click on the Settings (gear) icon that appears after clicking the arrow button.
- Then a menu will open and in that menu click on the Languages button.
- On the next page click on the Add Keyboard (refer to the screenshot below).
- Then select your preferred language on the next page.
You can change your keyboard language anytime in the future from the added keyboards.
Also read: How to change the language on Snapchat?
Method 2: Translating language in Gboard
- Click on the arrow icon on the top left corner of your keyboard.
- Then click on the translate icon (refer to the second screenshot from the left above) that appears after clicking on the arrow button.
- Then a list of languages will appear; select your preferred one.
- Now once you start typing the content will appear in the chosen language.
The guides mentioned above for Google Docs app have been created using Gboard (Google keyboard). So, some steps may slightly vary if you’re using some other keyboard on your device.
To change the language on Google Docs app on iOS — similar to the first method for Android — go to your Keyboard settings and add a new keyboard language.
Also read: How to add text box in Google Docs?
Akash is a law graduate who likes to go for bike rides on the weekends soul-searching for answers to his many existential questions.