One can never have enough controllers when you’re into gaming, and your friends are too. Wired controllers are never our first choice, and many wireless controllers do not possess sufficient battery backup to stay connected. It is crucial for us to choose the perfect controller to supplement our gaming setup. Here we have compared two types of controllers — Joy-Con and Pro Controller.
Joy-Con is the game controller for the Nintendo Switch video game console. They are made up of two units, each one of them containing an analogue stick and a set of buttons. They can be used either by attaching them to the Nintendo Switch console unit or wirelessly. A pair of Joy-Con can be used by a single player or can be divided between two players as individual controllers when it is used wirelessly. They are priced at INR 6,469 on Amazon India.
- Replacements are available if original Joy-Cons fails.
- They can be attached to Switch, used in Joy-Con grip, or used as two mini controllers.
- They can convert to from a traditional controller in the grip.
- Their size and weight make them comfortable for children and people with small hands.
- Shorter battery life.
- Not great for a primary controller.
Nintendo’s Pro Controller for Switch is a basic plain black gamepad which is designed to look and feel similar to Xbox and PlayStation controllers. You can sync up to eight Pro Controllers to the Nintendo Switch at the same time. It is preferred in games that require quick reaction times. They are priced at INR 6,389 on Amazon India.
- More Comfortable and familiar to regular controllers.
- Longer battery life.
- Provide better control and reaction time in the games.
- Replacements aren’t available.
- You only get one and have to buy others for multiple players.
Also read: How to use your PS4 controller with PC
Which controller should you choose?
Since the price points of the two controllers have a negligible difference, we cannot choose one over the other based on cost. Each of them is designed for a different playstyle and has its distinct benefits.
The Joy-Cons are competent controllers, but their best feature is the ability to convert from a traditional controller to multiple controllers when you someone else playing with you. The Pro Controller has superior features, but it isn’t worth stocking up on more than one. It is a better choice if you are looking for a comfortable, rapidly responsive, single-player experience. The Joy-Cons are better in case you love to play in groups or frequently make use of the Switch’s handheld mode.
Which one do you prefer? Let us know in the comments section.
Also read: Budget Gaming Setup 2019