Samsung’s rotating camera device the Galaxy A80, which was announced earlier this year in April, is coming to India priced at INR 47,990. Pre-bookings for the device start from July 22 and end on July 31, post which on August 1, it’ll be on sale across retail stores, ecommerce websites and other channels.
The Galaxy A80 features a rotating camera — a single unit that acts as both the front and rear camera — which, according to the company, is ‘built for the era of live’. The rotating camera on the Galaxy A80 is a first in the smartphone industry, but it does raise some questions. Industry experts are a bit skeptical about the increasing reliance of smartphone manufacturers on hardware — such as the sliding and rotating camera interface seen on Samsung Galaxy A80.
Those who pre-book the device also get a one-time screen replacement offer and Citibank credit cardholders are eligible for a 5% discount.
“Today, consumers are increasingly using their smartphones to share live interactions on the go. We are moving from the ‘era of selfie’ to the ‘era of live’. Built to drive this evolution, the new Galaxy A80 offers compelling innovations with Samsung’s New Infinity Display, path-breaking world’s first rotating triple camera with 48MP and revolutionary Samsung Pay, enhancing consumer’s overall experience,” said Aditya Babbar, Director, Mobile Business, Samsung India.
Also read: Samsung Galaxy Fold: How things have unfolded so far
Samsung Galaxy A80 Specs
Following are the major specs of the Galaxy A80.
- Display: The Samsung Galaxy A80 comes with a 6.7-inch FHD+(1080×2400) Super AMOLED ‘New Infinity Display’.
- Design: The device is enclosed in a metal frame and layered with 3D glass.
- Camera: The A80 sports with a single camera unit that rotates to function both as the rear and front camera. The triple-camera setup comes with a 48MP main lens, 8MP ultra wide lens and a 3D depth sensor.
- Processor: The device is powered by an octa-core processor (2.2GHz Dual + 1.8GHz Hexa).
- Storage: It comes with 128GB internal storage, which isn’t expandable.
- Memory: The Galaxy A80 comes with 8GB RAM.
- Battery: It’s backed by a 3700mAh battery unit that can be charged via a 25W super fast charging.
- OS: Android 9 Pie
- Sound: The Galaxy A80 comes with a Dolby Atmos-powered speaker system that gives a 360-degree audio experience when using Bluetooth speakers or earphones.
- Biometrics: On-Screen Fingerprint
- Colour: Black, Gold, White
- Measurement: 165.2 x 76.5 x 9.3 mm
The Galaxy A80’s battery learns the daily routine and app usage pattern of a user and optimises the device’s power consumption accordingly. The device also comes with Bixby support, Samsung Knox security.
Users can customise their accessibility to Bixby personal assistant by either making it a button-activated feature or a hands-free one. The device also includes apps like Samsung Health and Samsung Pay.
Also read: Why do smartphones have so many cameras? How many do you really need?
Writes news mostly and edits almost everything at Candid.Technology. He loves taking trips on his bikes or chugging beers as Manchester United battle rivals.
Contact Prayank via email: [email protected]