In the world of internet, passwords are the keys to the numerous locks you need to access several platforms and your data therein, but with scores of accounts and passwords to keep track of, it could become hectic. One of the most important passwords you’ll ever need is the one for your WiFi that’s required to connect to the internet and to forget that means you can’t connect new devices to the internet on your network.
However, if your iPhone or iPad is connected to the internet, then you can retrieve the password via various methods. In this article, we’ve explained three ways using which you can find the WiFi password on your iPhone or iPad in a few simple steps.
Using WiFi router setting on your iPhone
Router settings are one of the easiest and most accurate methods of finding your WiFI password, given that your phone is connected to the WiFi. Go to your iPad or iPhone’s settings and follow the steps mentioned below to find the WiFi password via the router settings.
- Select the Wi-Fi option on the settings page.
- On the next page, tap on the i (information) icon right next to the network name for which you’re trying to find the password.
- On the next page, copy the string of numbers beside the Router option.
- Open Safari browser in your iPhone and paste or type what you copied above and hit go
- This will take you the router page (iBaton in this case), and you’ll be required to log in there. Most likely, if you haven’t modified the login details for this page when you go the router, you can find the default settings either on the router’s website or via your internet provider.
- Select operation mode as Router and tap on the Next button.
- This will open your router’s WAN settings. Here tap on the Next button again.
- On the next Wireless Settings page, tap on the Pass Phrase option at the bottom, and it will display your WiFi password.
You can now use this password to manually put into your other devices to connect it to your network. It’s important to note that the steps mentioned above are for iBaton router and it might be slightly different for you depending on the make and model of your router and your ISP.
Also read: How to turn an old router into a repeater?
Using iCloud Keychain on your Mac
You might be unaware, but your iPhone has a tool called Keychain which stores all your login information and this is what helps you auto-fill the forms with your personal information on the websites. If you have a Mac, you can retrieve your WiFi password via iCloud Keychain if you use the same iCloud ID on your iPhone and Mac, as all your data will then be synced between the devices including passwords.
Follow the steps mentioned below on your iPhone
- Open your iPhone’s settings and tap on your Apple ID name at the top.
- On the next page, select iCloud.
- On the next page, scroll down and tap on the Keychain option.
- On the next page, tap on the toggle button beside iCloud Keychain, and this will sync your passwords to iCloud
Follow the steps mentioned below on your Mac
Step 1: Click on the Apple icon on the top-left corner of your Mac and click on System Preferences… from the dropdown menu.Step 2: Select iCloud on the following window.Step 3: On the next page, click on the box next to Keychain to enable the feature. You might need to enter your system password and iPhone password as well.
The easiest way is to search Keychain Access on the search bar to open Keychain tool on your Mac.
Step 4: When Keychain is open search for your network name and double-click.Step 5: Check the box beside Show Password on the pop-up screen to view the WiFi password.Step 6: A pop-up window asking your system administration username and password will appear, enter the credentials and click on the Allow button. You will then be able to view your network password. You can copy it on clipboard to save it or manually enter it on the new device.
How to share your WiFi password with another iPhone
To do this, you need to meet specific requirements as below.
- Both the iPhones must be updated to at least iOS 11.
- Your friend’s iPhone number must be in your contact list.
- Bluetooth must be enabled on both devices.
Now follow the below-mentioned steps to share your WiFi password from the connected iPhone to another iPhone in seconds
- Keep your friend’s iPhone near your WiFi-connected iPhone and try connecting to the network you want to use.
- On your iPhone, a pop-up window will appear prompting to share your WiFi.
- Tap on the Share Password button.
It will then send the password, and your friend’s device will be connected to the WiFi network automatically.
How to find the WiFi password of your Personal Hotspot?
Personal Hotspot in iPhone lets you share your mobile cellular data with other devices in the range over WiFi and here is how you can find the password to your phone’s hotspot.
- Open your iPhone’s settings.
- Tap on Personal Hotspot option.
- On the next page, tap on the toggle button beside Allow others to Join (refer to the screenshot above).
- Your personal hotspot’s WiFi password will appear below the toggle button.
Also read: How to find your iPhone’s IMEI number?