Social networks can get overwhelming with a barrage of posts, stories, videos and messages, and sometimes we need a break. Among many tools that Instagram offers, muting could really help in such a situation. However, if you have muted someone by mistake or want to unmute someone to get their updates again, follow the guide below.
You can mute someone’s posts, stories, messages and calls. When you mute someone’s posts, they stop appearing in your feed; however, they appear at the end of the story bar when you mute someone’s story. Similarly, when you mute someone’s messages or call notifications, you will stop receiving alerts. However, you can still check out their posts, stories and messages in their respective places.
Instagram won’t notify the person when you mute or unmute them. Muting someone is different from unfollowing, blocking or restricting them.
This article covers the following topics.
- How to unmute messages and call notifications?
- How to unmute posts and stories through profile?
- How to mute posts and stories?
Also read: How to upload reels on Instagram?
How to unmute someone?
If you want to start receiving messages and call notification from the person, you muted earlier or if you want their posts and stories to start re-appearing in your feed, follow the guides below.
The same steps can be used to mute someone on Instagram.
How to unmute messages and call notifications?
Open your DM on Instagram and follow the steps mentioned below.
- Tap on the Messenger icon located in the top-right corner.
- Search for the person you want to mute, then select their profile.
- Tap on the username located at the top left.
- Under the Notifications heading, slide the toggle to the left to unmute Messages and Call Notifications.
How to unmute posts and stories through profile?
Go to the person’s profile you want to unmute and follow the step given below.
- Tap on the Following tab.
- Select Mute.
- Slide the toggle to the left to unmute Posts and Stories.
Also read: Instagram music not working: 8 Fixes
How to mute someone?
As mentioned above, you can follow the respective guides above to mute someone’s posts and stories, messages and call notifications. However, if you want to mute someone through your feed, follow the guide below.
How to mute posts and stories through feed?
Go to your feed and scroll to post of the person you want to mute. Then follow the steps mentioned below.
- Tap on the three-dot icon located on the top-right of the post.
- Select Mute.
- Tap on either Mute Posts or Mute Posts and Story.
Also read: How to mute yourself on Zoom? How to turn off the video?