One of the largest online streaming services, Youtube has given a platform to a lot of people who want to put out videos publicly, with several creators turning to Youtube as their full-time job over the past few years. If you’re thinking about uploading a video to Youtube and try out your luck in front of the two-billion-plus audience there, here is how you can upload a video to Youtube directly from your iPhone.
Now while uploading and posting a video using Youtube.com makes more sense as it gives much more customisation as well as advanced settings options, if you aren’t able to access your laptop or PC at the moment and feel like pushing a quick update to your channel, you can also do so using Youtube’s app for iOS.
But before you post or upload a video to Youtube, you should know the following.
- Publish vs Upload: Uploading the video to Youtube doesn’t publish it immediately. First, it’s saved to the drafts on Youtube and you can choose to publish it manually or schedule the video. Once you’ve reached the upload limit, try uploading again in 24 hours.
- Audio files can’t be uploaded to Youtube, which only supports mov, mpeg4, mp4, avi, wmv, mpegps, flv, 3gpp, webm, dnxhr, prores, cineform, and hevc (h265) formats.
- Upload limit: Youtube has a limit to the number of videos that a channel can upload every day, which varies by region and channel history. Community guidelines affect this limit, but copyright strikes don’t.
- Maximum upload size: The maximum file size of a video can be 128GB or 12 hours — whichever is less. Earlier the upload size limit used to be much more, so you might see several videos longer than 12 hours on Youtube. However, you need to have a verified channel to be able to upload videos longer than 15 minutes. Copyright claims and strikes can limit your ability to upload long videos.
- Video quality processing: When you upload a video on Youtube, it’s first processed in standard definition (SD), which allows you to complete the upload flow and even make the video public if you want to sans the high-resolution (4k, 1080p), which take relatively more time to process.
Also read: How to disable Restricted mode on YouTube?
Upload a video to YouTube from iPhone
Open the Youtube app on your iOS device and follow the steps mentioned below to post a video to your channel.
- Tap on the Camera icon at the top of your screen (see here for Android).
- Tap on Video if you would like to upload or video or tap on Live if you want to go live on your channel.
- On the next page, either choose a video that’s already on your phone from the camera reel in the second half of the page or tap on Create a Short to shoot a Youtube Short.
- On the next page, you can trim or crop your video using the seek bar at the bottom of the screen. Once you’re done, tap on the Next button at the top-right corner.
- On the next page, enter the Title of your video, followed by the Description. Select if the video will be public, unlisted or private. Enter a location if you want to and add the video to a playlist using the option at the bottom of the page. Then tap on Next button at the top-right.
- On the next page, select whether or not the video is made for kids and if the video should be restricted to an adult audience.
- Then tap on Upload to publish the video to your Youtube channel.
Also read: How to share a private YouTube video?
Prayank heads the Editorial at Candid.Technology. When not writing, he loves taking trips on his bikes or chugging beers as Manchester United battle rivals.
Contact Prayank via email: [email protected]